Saturday 5 November, 2011

Happily Ever After : The Prelude

Everyone's life goes through these set of definite stages.Your school life, college life, work life.And then comes your married life.But if you happen to be a part of a typical tambram family;then there a new stage"pre-marriage phase";this is the first time your parents say "lets find you a groom".
The beginning of the fall into that endless pit called "arranged-marriages" . And this can happen only in India ! Which is why it is really not surprising that Wiki decided to dedicate a page called "Arranged marriage in the Indian Subcontinent".

Let me give you an example of a typical family conversation:

Cast:Grandmom, Dad, Mom and victim (me)

grandmom : (to dad)If you spent half the time you spend with the newspaper looking for guys to get your girl married to; she wouldn't be sitting around like this.I am getting old. I want to be able to see your kids wedding while i am alive (surely deserves an Oscar!!!!)
dad: hmmmm (he s the best :D )
Mom:(couldn't be more melodramatic) : OMG ! our daughter is getting old. We need to find someone. (Calls out to me) Please give me a full sized photo. We have to post it on the matrimonial site. It is high time you got married.
 (imagine all of this convo in Tamil. It an infinitely serious tone)


And this is when I am completely lost and thinking "i am doomed" .. thats the thing with arranged marriages right.. its like a checklist on your parents' list of things to be done for kids. I try asking them how is it fair that they find a random guy solely based on some horoscope for me to spend an entire life with! What if he turns out to be a psycho serial killer !! ( I mean look at what happened to Dexter!).
 I fail to understand how this system is supposed to work. It depends purely on your good luck ! And I am not so sure about my luck. I mean imagine your parents setting up a date for you and then the date ends with you getting married to that guy!How weird is that?? I have seen people getting married to strangers without ever having met them previously; some sort of extreme dating or something where you don't know what to expect.
Eventually I will have to agree to talk to guys my parents think are good enough. It will be awkwardness personified ! What is one supposed to ask to decide if this is the right person to spend the rest of your life with? Wish such things had an instruction manual or a steps to follow !


How can i forget to mention the matrimonial sites??I have never seen so many questions on a Job Portal ! Like anyone is ever going to say"I am a creep, hope you are okay with that" !! 

My parents will soon realize that I am getting "older" and will want me to start talking to strangers. Somehow i can't wrap my head around this concept of arranged marriages yet !

Wish me luck !!


Until next time, ciao !



PS:I am going to call this the "Happily Ever After" series. This was just the prelude!

3 comments:

Medha said...

the entire process has traumatised u shweta ram.. u are funny.. i shud visit ur home nd chat up with ur granny nd mom to add oil in fire.. :D

Trupti said...

Shwets why don't you go to Medha's place and make life worse for her as well!! .... :P

And Don worry, you'll find an awesome guy (if one exists... :P)

Shweta said...

@Medha: Umm not funny ! Wait till u start !
@Trups: LOL